50th Anniversary Apollo 11 Lunar Landing

I have been waiting for my entire adult life for the moment when I would write something like this.  50 years ago today, astronauts Neil Armstrong and "Buzz" Aldrin landed the Apollo 11 mission on surface of the moon.  Astronaut Michael Collins remained aboard the command module "Columbia," in orbit around the moon--while Armstrong and Aldrin made history.  I have no memory of Apollo's launch, the landing is etched in my memory because my parents made such a very big deal about it. 



My version of that memory is affected by time, it's a little fuzzy now.  In those days, my eyesight was very bad.  I had to stand right next to our black-and-white television set to see events as they happen.  It was late at night, nearly midnight where we lived.  Both of my parents were there, my father sat on the floor near me.  In my mind's eye, I can still him in the glow of that picture tube.  None of us knew what we were looking at.  My father said something at the time, he wanted me to understand that this endeavor was not "a done deal" until they landed.

As I write this in July of 2019, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins are still with us.  Niel Armstrong passed away in 2012.  Everything I am known for today originated during that one moment in 1969, when I saw this historic event unfold.  Tales from the Kodiak Starport is my homage to these men and their lifetime of achievements.  There's a lot more I could say, things I want to say, none of it would survive the sands of time.  In my own way, I observe the moon landing every year, with family and frieds as they are available.  Sometimes, when the media is less interested, I'll go outside and look up the night sky.  I've never been able to see the stars.  Even so, it is a small comfort to me that humans went there.  We could do it again, if we wanted to.