100th Anniversary of World War I

100 years ago today, the "war to end all wars" came to a formal end when an armistice was signed.  What we call World War I happened at a time when global industrial expansion was at its peak, innovation was a fact of life in those and--and--just about everyone liked it.  As much as we pride ourselves on 21st Century greatness, early decades of the previous century were just as marvelous.


I spent the earlier part my day being somewhat conflicted about what to say in this blog, if anything.  My own family's history and legacy would be different if World War I had continued much longer, it's not unreasonable to suggest that I might not be here.  As the treaty of Versailles was finalized, British Prime Minister Lloyd George worried out loud that the major nations might reluctantly be back at war in just 20 year.  He was right.

As we commemorate this centenary observance, many Americans are mulling over the mixed results of our most recent congressional elections.  We find ourselves with a President who harkens back to the days of 1930's isolationism, complete with undertones of racism and a growing cult of personality that would make Hitler jealous with its scope and scale.  Mr. Trump's animus toward the French is a matter public record, I won't burden you with it here.  All I care to say--after some thought--is that we seem to be perilously close to making the same old mistakes, again.

The American Expeditionary Force (AEF) that went to Europe in 1917 probably did save the world as we now know it.  Two decades later, when Nazi Germany rapidly conquered Europe, we returned.  As we now stand on the threshold of our era of authoritarianism, I reluctantly ask--who saves us?