America Returns to Space

Today, at approximately 3:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, a public-private partnership between NASA and SpaceX successfully launched "Demo 2," which sent two U.S. astronauts to the International Space Station.



In the years to come, the astronauts who flew this mission will become international celebrities.  Many of my fellow Americans will remember this event as a defining moment in their lives.  This event brings many things in my own life "full circle."  My fondest childhood memory is watching the Apollo 11 moon landing on a black-and-white television (as a little boy).  Today, I watched this launch with my wife of 25 years.  In a word, it was "good."

The Apollo missions, Skylab, the Space Shuttle and the International Space Station have all inspired me to write Science Fiction.  I am hopeful about the future and all it will mean for younger generations.  There is really not much more I can say.  Humanity has gone from volatile rockets that had to be flown by brave people, to automated systems like Crew Dragon and Falcon 9...that fly themselves.  As difficult as life me be here on Earth, I continue to believe that our future is out there among the stars.